Most NAMES and PLACES on this blog have been removed or altered for privacy.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

7/6/11 First Letter from "The Field"

So, I'm doing pretty well. I got the first stages of heatstroke a couple days ago but I'm fine now. The weather right now is anywhere from 103-110 degree's and it's humid....augh......Let's just say that bottled water has become my best friend. We don't drink the tap water here because when it comes out there are suspended solids in it...disgusting....it's white....."shudder".....We have 3 new investigators, and things are going really well down here. Alright...about my bike....So when I got to Oklahoma they told me that ctr bikes had broken the derailer (an important part) on my bike and they were going to send me another one for free so that we can fix it and I should get my bike by the end of the week ( I've been using a rental bike). Anyway I wait and wait and wait...and the AP's finally arrive with my bike AND IT'S STILL BROKEN!!! Apparently the elder who was supposed to fix my bike just broke it some more.....augh.....So I haven't ridden my bike yet because it's stinkin' broken because everyone keeps trying to fix it....fortunately we're going to just take it to a bike shop and have them fix it for us and if they break it, I'm going to be quite upset.....very upset....like unto a whale that had to spit out Jonah.....Tracting is an interesting experience. I met my first elderly educated person who actually believed that we practiced polygamy.....this is how the conversation went...
-Elder N., "hi, we're from the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints.....have you ever talked to missionaries before?"
-old guy, "yeah I don't believe in what you teach!!!"
-Elder N., (my trainer) "like what?!"
-old guy, "Like the unholy practice of having multiple wives!"
-Elder N., "we don't believe in polygamy..."
-old guy, "If your Mormon you do!!!"
All I was thinking was wow....thanks for telling me what I believe......raurgh....crazy person.....Anyway my companion is awesome. As I said before in a previous letter, his name is Elder N. and he's from Utah. He's been out for about 7 months and he's my trainer. He teaches me alot and I learn alot from him. We get along really well despite the fact that we're polar opposites...The other day while tracting we were nearly attacked by a Chihuahua and Elder N. was about to smack it with a Book of Mormon...as funny as that would have been I had to stop him and we just walked off...Anyway we got a referral from the sisters in our area for a couple and we went and checked it out. Turns out it was the house with the Demon Chihuahua, and the lady who owned it really like her dogs....I can only imagine how that contact would've turned out if Elder N. had smitten that quadrupled spawn of Satan with the word of God....(It sounds so much funnier when you say it that way)...
The food here is awesome. I haven't eaten anything weird yet because it's mostly like mom's cooking. although sadly our apartment is sadly lacking in ingredients....so I stick with LOTS of pb&j's...We don't get many dinner appointments because no one loves us....I'm just joking....our area doesn't have many members in it so we just double up dinner appointments with the elders from an area next to ours call Yukon. Anyway sorry about this e-mail taking so long, the 4 of July was on Monday which is our p-day and the college who's computers we hijack was closed on the 4th and the 5th. Thank you for the e-mails and I'm uber excited to get the letters from you guys! I'm doing great and I'm loving it out here. I'm learning so much and I'm so glad I have this opportunity.

Love you all,

-Elder Lord Byron of the Swamp

No comments:

Post a Comment